Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pub Closures-The Gransmoor, Openshaw, Manchester

I was thinking about pub closures today and remembered the Gransmoor on Ashton Old Road in Manchester. Last time I passed it was a secondhand fridge and washing machine shop. Sad as it was a great old Victorian place.

Then I started thinking of some of the bands we used to see there when we were in our teens. Manchester pubs and clubs were the launch pad for many great bands, I suppose they just use the internet these days which is a shame as so many small atmospheric venues and pubs are no more.

One band that I remember from the late seventies, and I was introduced to them by my cousin Vinny in the Gransmoor, was Gammer. The last incarnation of Gammer's original band I saw was Gammer and His Familiars at the old Band on the Wall in Manchester in the early eighties. Happy daze!

So this post has really just become a plug for Norman Gammer. I've posted this before but eh, if something's good..





  

2 comments:

Sandwich said...

Hi Greg, I used to play guitar in the Gammer Band and remember The Gransmoor well as we had a weekly (Tues I think) residency there, greta entertainer was Norman, another Norman was drummer AKA "Basher" and my mate on bass Ronnie Poole, I was a permanent member and played rhythm guitar and backing vocals, the lead guitarist was usually different and either Roger, Jed Greene or Richard Derbyshire, Richard ended up with his own band "Zu Zu Sharks" and then "Livin in a Box" who had a farly big hit with a song of the same name. Good old days, Cheers Greg, Best, Phil Platt.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCLitqFiwdCKapZjycC6ipw?view_as=subscriber

Gregg said...

Had some great times in the Gransmoor. Thanks for your contribution then and just now. Cheers.